Friday, November 7, 2008

2008 Wrapped Up

This entire year has been a whirlwind and it's that time to start preparing for the next year. This is about the time I start getting my paperwork ready for taxes, take my inventory and start tallying. Last year's meeting with HR Block taught me a lot on how to prepare for this year. I think I did pretty darn good.

It's also time for me to set my goals for next year. I didn't really set goals-goals last year because I wasn't sure when I was going to be able to jump back in the saddle after having my little girl. I did tell Mr. HR Block that I was hoping to make a particular amount this year (after taxes and such) and I'm happy to announce that I met that goal- with only working 7 months out of the year.

Working a full time job, raising my little nugget and keeping designs and inventory fresh took a bit of work, but it's manageable. If you don't force the work or designs and let them flow naturally, it works with you and not against you. I think that some (note: some- not all) designers put pieces out there for the sake of having inventory. My first year I did that, it backfired on me and I vowed not to put out anything I didn't love. That was the reason my calendar took 2 years to complete and the reason that I have 3-4 concepts that I haven't released yet: i don't love them and I can't market and sell something I don't believe in. I'm so close, but I can't justify sacrificing the final product just to have "numbers" in my shop.

I edit very often and very meticulously. in theory, i COULD offer everything possible... and i probably already have it designed, but if I'm not "feeling" it, it doesn't go up. money also drives what gets put up. i know you have to spend money to make money, but I'm not at the point where I'm ready to go out and buy a lot of supplies and not be able to have multiple uses for them.

With all that said, I'm extremely proud of the buzz I managed to generate for my shop. I participated in giveaways, blog features and promoted wherever I could. I just put my product out there and let it work for me. Many say hearts and views don't matter- and they don't really... on the business end. But they do matter on the ego and motivation end. And i don't mean ego in the "I'm popular" sense. I mean ego in the sense that these people ENJOY your work. They see what you see in your work. They LIKE what you've dreamed up in your mind and they APPRECIATE what you do. So yes, hearts and views matter. They remind me that I'm doing okay. Not everyone is going to love what you have to offer, so knowing there are others that appreciate my work pushes me to create more. So those of you that have hearted me... know that I thank you for showing your appreciation for my hard work.

I have so many ideas dreamed up for this next year and I'm not going to lie... I'm a bit worried that I won't be able to make those dreams come true. Some are a bit ambitious for my schedule, but I'll still work hard and I'll still put my best foot forward, whatever design might be on that foot. I have textiles, thread, felt and mix media on the mind, but it's all hazy still. I would love a collaboration of sorts with someone, so if anyone reading has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

I'm also going to be looking to adapt my Signature Series into somewhat of a true collection. I want to expand and look at the whole "desk" so to speak- think about what I use in my daily routine and see how I can incorporate those items into my designs. I may even redesign things a bit and see if I can introduce something tactile and interactive. These are the things I perceive as taking a bit of time, but I know that if I'm patient and true to the design... it will all work out.

I, honestly, haven't made my 2009 Goals yet. Maybe that's something I'll do tonite while I wait for the ball to drop. I have a few ideas rolling around right now, but I'm not ready to commit to my list. Once it's settled upon, I'll be sharing (which I'm sure everyone else will be, too!) I honestly, like to see what others come up with to see what might also inspire me for the new year. Last year I broke it down into months- by X month I wanted this done and that was a real motivation, so I might carry that theme out again. I'll also be starting my "35 by 35" list which could be pretty interesting given what a huge year I had this year in terms of events, accomplishments and experiences. (warning: some things I've accomplished will also be on that list because I need the motivation of boxes checked. Plain and simple.)

Either way I hope you all have a great new year in 2009 and I hope that I can keep your attention in the year to come! Below you will find some of my favorites from the year.

No comments: