Thursday, September 4, 2008

Itch to Stitch

okay so that was a completely corny headline, but it's somewhat true. I have had this overwhelming urge to learn how to sew in the past few months. I've begun to take lessons with a GREAT lady named Maryalice and it's fueling my sewing urge even more. Then I got to thinking- how does this tie into Five Dot? Does it?

The more I thought about it, the more I thought that it didn't... but then again my goal for Five Dot was three-fold... a successful stationery business that not only creates custom wedding invitations, but dabbles in Children's apparel. Now that I've written that out, it sounds a bit ridiculous, but honestly, I had the interest in the clothing side, but not the means to an end. Ever since creating a branding package for a fictitious children's clothing company, I've had many people comment on how I should pursue this venture (even though I had NO sewing experience EVER in college). I had a great name for the company... I have a great logo... I even presented a great retail space in my presentation for jobs.



In an attempt to document the beginning, middle and hopefully fairytale end, I've started another blog. Here is where I will post my sewing adventures in hopes of creating a sort of documentary of the company. The True Hollywood Story, if you will. I'll probably reference my projects and such on this site as well, but for the most part- this blog will be dedicated to Five Dot the stationery company and me in general as I steer this business venture (so, yes. it seems logical to tack on ANOTHER venture to that process as well.) this may span out or i might fall flat on my face. either way i'm prepared and i'm excited!

My first few posts over at Grasstains will deal mostly in my learning to sew. As I get more and more comfortable (and get an actual machine), I'll get more into the building of the brand from there.

I have the etsy shop all staked out and ready to fill up once I get going. oh boy...

No comments: