Thursday, July 2, 2009

Laps around a concrete building

Afternoon walks with a coworker has become ritual lately (and much needed for our sanity)... and productive. We met in college thru design, but we have different paths we want to take with our talents, so bouncing ideas around and just talking about how to navigate has been a tremendous help as of lately. Our walk today was especially helpful (thank you, dear!) in just getting motivated to get organized. I try to make a 6 month timeline of key points I want to hit with Five Dot at the beginning of the year and at the beginning of the summer. Needless to say I'm way behind. Life has taken over and I'm happy to put some of it on the back-burner so I'm not working a full time job and then coming home and working another 4-5 hours every nite. BUT. I can't keep it back there forever. Eventually, it doesn't need to marinate any longer and you need to start cooking those ideas.
I'm giving myself a year to really dig in. I'm doing well with the avenue I'm taking now (word of mouth and references), but I need to step up my game and really push my limits. I need to get out of my comfort zone and I need to get some of those half started projects wrapped up and seen thru to the end result (especially one in particular that I'm SUPER excited about).
Plans are coming together. Conversations are being had. Decisions are going to have to be made- whether I like it or not. I'm getting there. I'm much more optimistic now, but I think what's more important is that I'm now working toward something a bit more tangible... and that's motivation in itself.

3 comments:

Cat Scott said...

You and I are going through such similar things. I'm working all day and then coming home to work all night... sometimes I get jealous of people who have actual "free time." But it's all working towards the ability to do what we love full time, all the time.

I'm excited that you are jump starting your business and it sounds like you're making the right moves. Just keep working at it, generating buzz about yourself, and everything will fall into place. I have a sneaking suspicion that your walking buddy is christy... tell her hi! Good luck!

Vicki said...

I hear exactly what you're saying. I'm in a similar spot as well, trying to situate myself and take the necessary steps while working a full-time day job. It's hard. It's good that you have someone to talk to and bounce ideas with regularly. Other than my husband (who tries to help where he can), I really don't have anyone like that.

I like Cat's advice to just keep working at it and getting your name out there. Good luck to you and your journey over the next year!

Anonymous said...

i'm just so glad to have someone so close by during the day to hold me accountable to my goals! thanks for nailin' down august 7. it's so funny how different our paths are, but we both have one goal in mind ... to build an empire, as we call it. ha! this is good, really, really good stuff! it's about to get super crazy up in our worlds ... and ... GO!

PS: hi cat :)