Sunday, April 20, 2008

what do i have to show for my time off?

not much.

so i'm a jerk and it took me awhile to get back to my blurbs on the april favorites. miss charlotte has figured out that if you stay up more during the day, you get more attention, so i had to attend to her needs. plus, i go back to work next week, so i've been trying to get our affairs (i.e. figuring out hospital bills) in order so that i don't go scatter brained!

however, i've been able to make a few observations about my business and a few things i need/want to do to make it work this time.

a blog calendar:: yes it sounds a bit silly, but another etsian, dancingmooney, has one and from what she says, it helps her not only have ideas to keep her her blog interesting, but it helps keep her thoughts in order. if she thinks of something she wants to blog about, she can either add it to the calendar with a similar topic or she can make it happen on it's own day. i may even try "pre blogging" in case i have one of those just-hit-me topics, but have a few days filled up already. i think it will help me organize posts so that i have a flow and a focus.

what do i want to do when i grow up:: i was up late one nite with the nugget and watched an older oprah show that featured a "career expert". he offers a course on itunes that is supposed to help you figure out what your strengths are so that you can guide your career toward those strengths. i'm going to give this little workshop a whirl and see what i come up with- i'm not the biggest oprah follower, but if this guy can help me find my calling in life i'll give it a whirl. i have a few ideas already as to what my strengths are outside of design so i think having all that information in once place will help me figure out not only if i'm going in the right direction, but how i can incorporate all of those strengths in to one job (or the job i have right now).


i do know, though, that my goal in my career is that my next job is working for myself. when people ask, "where do you see yourself in x years?" my vision in my head is this... i'm working out of the house i live in now (why, i'm not sure, but go with it), but the house has been redecorated as a studio space-- we have another house somewhere else (quite possibly one the hubz designed, which means it will take 5 years to build because we will be any builders' nightmare... architect and designer building a house only spells headache). i'm in what is now the nugget's room sitting behind a desk designing some sort of stationery collection. i have a lovely intern/assistant that is set up in the now dining room. my lovely intern/assistant makes her own schedule- she has a cap on how many hours a week she works, but she comes in when she wants and goes home when she wants. upstairs has been converted into a playroom for the nugget so that if she's not in school yet, i can just bring her to work and if she is in school, then she has somewhere to go after school while i finish up for the day. the dogs come with me to work if i don't have meetings and instead of a coffee machine in the kitchen, i serve fountain soda. it's always been a dream of mine to own a fountain soda machine... can soda works, but there's nothing like a refreshing fountain soda. so there you have it. where i want to be in x years. i just wish i knew what the x was in this equation.

No comments: